I have uploaded the first alpha changeset for the Mediawiki Watchlist Grouping project: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/11587/
Here are some random notes on this first release:
- Database support is lacking at the moment. I’ve created setup scripts for MySQL and Postgre, but I am still working on the upgrade scripts.
- Watchlist pages now take user and group inputs as subpages. For example, Special:Watchlist/Admin/Cities will retrieve the user Admin’s watchlist group entitled “Cities”. Special:EditWatchlist works in the same way, except it will only take the group as a subpage (since users cannot edit watchlists belonging to other users.) Alternatively, these settings can be passed as url parameters (?user=<someuser>&group=<somegroup>)
- Filtering options will need to be modified to take user and group settings.
- After addressing these points (and any others that come up during testing), I’ll be working on implementing inline group adding from article and category pages and group permissions as well as modifying the raw watchlist to work with groups.
July timeline for the project (tasks begin on the specified date):
- June 25: Correct errors identified by jenkins (database table creation) and clean up code for style/efficiency. Collect feedback from other developers on how to proceed.
- July 2: Continue implementing permissions.
- July 9: Modify the raw watchlist.
- July 23: Inline group adding from article and category pages.
- End of July: Assess progress and plan next steps.
Now that the UI is usable, my goal is to release a changeset after each of these tasks is completed.
If you have any questions regarding this project, please comment on the changeset in Gerrit or this post. I appreciate any feedback from the development community.